Thursday, April 1, 2010

Crocheted edging


This is a simple crocheted edging that I use a lot. It looks similar to some my grandma used to put on things, but not exactly. Since I have never seen it listed in any magazine or crafting book, I don't know if it has a name or not, but I call them wagon wheels. My Grandma taught me to crochet when I was very young, but I didn't learn to read crochet patterns until I was in my late 30's, but I will try to explain how I do this.

I Crochet directly onto the item to be decorated, in this case it is a wash cloth. Make a slip knot and put it on your crochet hook. Start on any side and crochet by punching the crochet needle through the wash cloth and pulling the thread thru from the back to the front. Now you have two loops on the hook. Yarn over and draw thru the two loops on the hook. Go all the way around the wash cloth spacing evenly. In each corner point put three stitches in one space to make the turns. At the end, slip stitch in the first stitch made, chain one. Next row: * Skip one stitch, and double crochet in the next stitch. Chain one, double crochet in the same space as the first double crochet four times (in that stitch you should have 5 double crochets with a chain in between each one). Skip one stitch and single crochet in the next stitch. Single crochet in each of the next three stitches. Repeat from * all the way around the wash cloth with one exception being the corners. The single crochets might have to be adjusted on each side of the wagon wheel to center it directly on the corner, instead of 5 double crochet with a chain in between, put 7 double crochet with a chain in between. An adjustments with the single crochets might have to be made at the end of the row to make the wagon wheels look evenly spaced. Slip stitch in the first chain, change colors by making a slip not in the new color, chain one by pulling the new color thru the loop and dropping the first color. Cut the first color thread leaving a tail about 4 inches long. Next row: Single crochet in each stitch and each chain space. Slip stitch in the first chain. finish off.

I make these to be used as Guest Wash cloths in my front bathroom. The same edge could be used on napkins for special occasions, or around the bottom of a little girls dress.






No comments:

Post a Comment