Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

This is a fantastic cake, and one of my Dad's favorites, unfortunately it is one of my favorites too, so I don't cook it very often because I eat too much when I do.
There are a lot of boxed mixes with directions for a pineapple upside-dawn cake on the package and they are OK, but this cake is made from scratch and believe me, the flavor and consistancy is much better than a boxed mix.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 can (20 oz) sliced pineapple
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
t tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1) Melt butter in cake pan. Add brown sugar; mix well until sugar is melted. Drain pineapples reserving 1/3 cup juice.

2) Arrange pineapples on top of the brown sugar in a single layer (I cut two of the rings in half and went down the center of the cake because I wanted to get a piece of pineapple with every bite. Pineapple tidbits could also be used instead of rings for an all over pineapple effect). Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the pineapple and set aside.

3) In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Blend in vanilla and reserved pineapple juice.

4) Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to batter, beating well. In a small glass, or stainless steal mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Spoon into the cake pan over the pineapples and nuts.

5) Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes on a cooling rack before inverting onto serving plate (I covered a cookie sheet with aluminum foil to use as my serving plate).

No comments:

Post a Comment