Friday, July 9, 2010

Peaches

A couple of days ago I got in the mood to can peaches. I called my Mom's cousin Lois and asked her to go with me to get some (Lois knows where all the good orchards are around here). We went to one over in Marionville, about 20 miles from here. The ones they had ready were called semi-freestone and they were picked fresh from the tree that morning, so I bought a half bushel.
I used the instructions out of the Ball's Blue Book canning guide. I made 6 pints and 1 1/2 pint of peaches in heavy syrup (my husbands choice).
This picture is of the peach chutney that I made. I have never tried it before, but My daughter and I decided to try a few new things and trade jars so we both could decide if we liked it or not, and chutneys is something they are always talking about and using on some of the cooking shows that I watch on TV, so peach chutney is the one I decided on (my daughter made tomato chutney, I can't wait to taste it). I know they advise against it, but I used some old salsa jars for part of it, and one of them didn't seal (so it is in my refrigerator right now waiting to be used). All together I got two 15 1/2 oz salsa jars (plus the one that didn't seal) and four 1/2 pints. The peach chutney taste like sweet and sour sauce to me. I think it is going to be really good on sweet and sour pork or sesame chicken.

This is peach butter. I have never tried making it before, but one year for Christmas I made enough apple butter to give as presents to my whole family and everybody loved it, so I wanted to see if peach butter would go over as well. I only got 6 half pints (one didn't seal so it is in the refrigerator for me), so if I want to give them as Christmas presents this year I am going to have to get some more peaches. It taste really good to me, and spreads on toast with ease.


This is peach preserves. This is what I went and got the peaches for in the first place. My husband likes strawberry preserves the best, but my favorite is peach. I got nine 1/2 pints.
I also froze a gallon bag of peaches for a peach cobbler the next time my son comes for a visit.
All together, I think a half bushel of peaches went a long way. I was pretty proud of my accomplishments, but then I thought it took me three days to put up a half bushel of peaches, and my Grandma would have done it in one afternoon. Oh well, I am still proud, and I think she would be too.



No comments:

Post a Comment